2020 was a crazy year and in 2021 we will still feel the effects, which means most of us are tightening our budgets and making every rand count.
Here are our top ways you can save money on your car this year.
Saving Money on Petrol
South Africans spend about 3% of their paycheck on petrol according to a Bloomberg study, which makes it the third-highest amount in the world. However, we can save money on fuel.
Here are our top tips:
· Buy a car that has a good fuel efficiency
· Never idle. If you are going to stop for awhile, turn off the engine.
· Aggressive acceleration will lead to you spending more money so be gentle on the throttle.
· The more you load your vehicle the more fuel you will use so go easy on how much you carry.
· Only use the air-con when you absolutely have to.
· Drive at a constant speed.
· Ensure your tyres are probably inflated.
· Avoid performance fuels as you don’t really need them.
Save on Maintenance
You can cut car ownership costs with regular and on-time maintenance. Here are a few tips.
· Follow the maintenance and service recommendations from your manufacturer.
· Watch for warning lights and when you see one take your car to a mechanic.
· Say no to add-on services you might be offered.
· Research car part prices.
· Don’t ever just pay for a part. Make sure you are receiving an original car part.
· Invest in a maintenance plan that will cover the servicing and maintenance of your car, which will help to keep your car on the road for longer.
Save on Insurance
Car insurance can be expensive, but you can save money and make sure you get a good deal.
Here are our top tips:
· Review your car insurance every year and get a new quote.
· Always shop around for insurance deals and compare insurance quotes from top insurance providers, so you can get the best deal.
· If you don’t want to move providers then try and renegotiate with your current provider.
· If you don’t need it then don’t take it. Go through your coverage and if you spot something, you don’t need then have it removed.
· Even though car insurance can be expensive, it is defiantly not something you can skip, but you can get a better deal.
Owning a car can be expensive, but there are ways that you can save money whilst making sure your car drives smoothly and reliably.